If your scooter is cutting in and out of power, it could potentially be the motor or the motor kill switch. Please see below for some basic troubleshooting steps to determine the cause.
- If all power is lost and there is noheadlight display, skip down to Pigtail instructions.
- If the headlight remains on when the scooter cuts out, note which indicators are lit up: Battery Fault Indicator (left), Power Connection (center), Headlight (right).
- If the Bike Mode light is blinking, note how many times it flashes. The light will flash a specific number of times, pause, and then flash again.
- Here are potential codes and how to proceed:
- 5 times before pausing – open a support ticket with Phat Scooters®
- 9 times before pausing – go on to Step 7
- 14 times before pausing – open a support ticket with Phat Scooters®
- 3, pause, 6, pause – open a support ticket with Phat Scooters®
- The 9 flashes are indicating that the kill switch within the brake handle is engaged. All Phat Scooters® have a kill switch within each brake handle that disengages power to the motor when compressed. This is a safety feature as the rider cannot engage the throttle and brakes at the same time.
- While riding, dust can build up within the brake handle, compressing the switch even when the rider is not applying the brakes. A deep cleaning of these brake handles and the piston inside with brake cleaner or contact cleaner will allow the brake handles to pop all the way back, disengaging the kill switch. Here is a video to help direct that process: https://vimeo.com/280272348.
- If there is a heavy bearing grinding noise coming from the motor area, this may indicate other issues. This will require further diagnosis and review by Phat Scooters® technicians. A video will be necessary to address.
This section is if your scooter will not turn on even though the battery is fully charged. The pigtail connects the battery to a control panel inside the scooter, which then powers the motor, headlight and throttle.
- Check that the power cable is plugged in tight into the power socket on the battery.
- If the pigtail connection is loose, the scooter will lose power.
- On HD models if the battery hay been plugged and unplugged frequently the cord can wear out by breaking connection inside the pigtail power cord and should be replaced.
- Locate the connector and ensure a clean, dry and tight connection.
- HD and HD Golf: connection located under the deck.
- Sport and Phatty: connection located in the panel behind front fender or in front of battery tray underneath scooter.
- After securing the connection and ensuring it is clean and dry, try turning the scooter on again.
If the above troubleshooting did not resolve your concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org open a support ticket. In order to expedite the process, please provide the following information:
- Contact Information
- Wheel ID or Original Scooter Order # (if available)
- Scooter Model and Purchase Year
- Description of Problem (attach pictures and videos if possible)
- Description of what troubleshooting you’ve already completed
Shop now by visiting www.phatscooters.com.